Saturday, November 8, 2014

Stay on a mission as long as possible!

Ok. It has been two months since we were released from our mission and this is the first time I have had time to finish my mission blog!  It is so much easier to be on a mission! Never go home!

Actually, I can see where we are needed here too so I guess we won't be going back out as soon as we had hoped.

On our way home from the mission we stopped at Mesquite and stayed with Edna overnight.  For some reason that brought me a great deal of comfort and peace of mind to stay with a familiar person with home cooked food and resting in the pool with her. I knew that life as I had known it for the last 18 months was over and I was about to be hit hard with life at home. I just didn't realize how hard but I was forewarned it was going to be hard.

When we came home we gave our homecoming talks, which went well.  Also our grandchildren sang "I hope they call me on a mission" which I absolutely loved! And we got to visit with family and friends which was nice.

The next Sunday we were asked to speak with Bro.Osguthorpe, the high councilman, in another ward.  It was funny because I had a talk all prepared and while sitting on the stand through the Sacrament the Lord said I needed to give a different talk. So I sketched out a talk about practical ideas to help them be member/missionaries.  It went fine and I could feel the Spirit.

Monday we were the speakers at the Empty Nesters where we felt the spirit so strong that Bro. Cardon came up after and said, "almost thou persuadeth me to go on another mission."  That's funny because he has been on many already.

These opportunities to speak were not unexpected or difficult.  But the family challenges and responsibilities almost brought us to our knees.

And speaking of knees.  I had my knee replaced one month after returning home. While out on my mission I knew I needed to have the surgery and lined up to have it done by someone that had been recommended to me. But I felt uneasy about the choice.  So much so that I realized the Spirit was saying to change doctors. I called and cancelled with him and made an appointment with the doctor Jon had had for his hip surgery and I never thought about it again. Complete peace. And I have been so blessed! Five days after the surgery I was able to go to church. I walk without pain or a limp in two and a half weeks. Now if I could just jump up off the toilet ha!

The day Glen came to the hospital to bring me home he had a heart syncopy problem and passed out. We had to stay in the hospital for a few extra hours while he was in the emergency room. The family stress, particularly Jon, is terrible on his heart. But we made it home and two days later he slipped while climbing on the tractor equipment and broke his leg! Amazing. So we try to help each other get around.  We share the walker and crutches and compression stockings! Its almost laughable! And we can't stay down like we should because of the family problems that require our immediate attention.  But the Lord has really, really blessed us to be able to do what needs to be done even with two wounded legs.

It was so much easier to be able to focus all of our attention, time, and devotion to missionary work. However, since being home I asked who in the ward needed fellowshipping to get them out to church and I have made a great new friend from going over to visit and she is coming out to church regular now, plus another sister that we have visited a lot is going to go to the Relief Society dinner with me next week and I have been assigned as her visiting teacher now so the missionary effort goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment